Skip to main content

Encounter with the Rebels

So, I've been trapped at the desk with a number of big deadlines the last few weeks.  I spent the scarce spare time I had on painting rather than thinking about 13th century Syldavia.  Things will be calmer for the next few weeks (I hope…).  Here is the next scene of Duke Jiri's story.


Encounter with the Rebels 

Alone in the ruined chapel of St. Narcissus, Duke Jiri and his son Konstantin held a whispered but intense conversation about Brother Velimir’s proposition to lead a rebellion and then left to rejoin the waiting army.  Soon the mass of men was put grumblingly back into motion, marching towards a dark hilltop a few miles off to the west.  A few hours later, at the end of the afternoon, Jiri lead his army over the crest of hill, to see the high wooded hill and the rebel army before him across a narrow valley, just as Velimir forewarned.  Jiri ordered his men into battle line and then marched them down into the valley, coming to a halt again on a long low terrace near the valley bottom. 

Across the valley, on another slightly higher terrace was the rebel army, arrayed in their own battle line, looking impassively at the Hum soldiers.  They were obviously more numerous than the Duke’s army, both of whose flanks were plainly overlapped.  Higher up on the slope were the obvious traces of a large camp, smoking campfires, tents, penned herd animals and women and children milling about.  Men in Jiri’s army began to mutter and grumble about their disadvantage: There are so many of them, this will be a hard day for us….  Sensing a spreading unease among his men, Jiri called out « Courage, men!  They make a fine looking army indeed, don’t they?  So much the better!  They may have numbers but we have the advantage of cavalry on our flanks, let them worry about that!  Stand tall men of Hum!  Turning back to survey the opposing line, Jiri  secretly suppressed a sly smile; he was impressed and a more than little delighted to see that the rebel force was indeed quite a bit bigger than he expected and so well turned out. 

Syldavian soldiers on the march, commemorated in the Basilica of St. George, Douma 


Konstantin pointed out a pair of riders descending from the rebel line, one carrying a white flag « They wish to parley ».Jiri walked his horse out in front of his battle line and motioned Konstantin to accompany him.  Once clear of his men, Jiri spoke to Konstantin « Son, the moment of decision is upon us.  I now know my own mind but you will have to live with today’s consequences for longer than me.  So, tell me, what do you think we should do? ».   Konstantin’s eyes widened a second but composed his answer rapidly «For the moment, the Bordurians aren’t in control of things in Syldavia and we have a small advantage.  I think we should use it while we can.  I say we should join the rebellion ».   « So be it » said Jiri with a grim smile.  « I will go meet these men, out of earshot of the army.  I need you to stay here and keep the men calm, there will be a little theatre if all goes well!  Speak to no one of Velimir’s plan and get your hands on Dokovic’s lackey Pawel Vitros and his men right away, we don’t need any reports getting back to the Bordurians”.  Jiri motioned for two chosen knights to join him, one his bodyguard and one who carried the ducal standard, and spurred his horse out to meet the approaching riders in the middle of the valley. 


Comments

  1. Aha! I suspected something of the kind was in the wind. Duke Jiri is not the man to let opportunity slip by. I'll be watching developments with interest!

    Best, A J

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend,
    Brazil sending my congratulations for the creative blog. I'm also fascinated by the Kingdom of Syldavia!
    How Orthodox Christian, I would like to know more about Orthodoxy in Syldavia (foundation, development, adoption of the new or the old calendar, it is Patriarchate Diocese or ...).
    I think it would be interesting to many of your readers.
    That St. Vladimir, Equal to the Apostles, bless you!
    Marcelo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leipzig Campaign : Battle of Olbernhau Pt. 2

It goes without saying that this blog has been stalled for some time while I have had my hands full with work and kids.  I have had the AAR for the Battle of Olbernhau (see previous post) mostly completed for some time, but it has been languishing forgotten in the limbo of the "drafts" file.  In the effort to re-start things in motion around here, the first order of business is to publish it!    Battle of Olberhau After Action Report  Prelude The town of Olberhnahu with forested hills to the east (rear).  The Allies enter the table from more or less this position moving from right to left, then turning sharply west (left) As outlined in the previous post ( here ), our scenario revolved a hypothetical encounter of the French IX Corps and the Allied Army of Bohemia just west of the town of Olbernhau, southern Saxony, in August 1813.  The battle game is preceded by the approach of the town by Count Pahlen III’s Russian hussar division, moving in from the

First Despatch from Syldavia!

Welcome to Despatches From Syldavia! Will you join me for a Plate of Szlaszeck and a Glass of Szprädj? This blog relates the infamous history and dubious future goings-on of my own Imagi-nations wargames campaign involving an un-historical milieu of fictitious mid 18 th century nations set in southeastern Europe. I’ll keep the blog updated with reports when I have made progress in my project and when I have something (one hopes) moderately interesting to say. Life is quite busy, however, so I am afraid that my postings will probably come at an irregular pace. My project represents my return to the wargaming world after several years of inactivity, during which time I finished my PhD, landed a real job, got married and started a family. Now, with all that done (or is it because sleep is in short supply?), the desire to start painting and gaming projects came back to life. I started to build a SYW army and while doing some research on the WWW, I accidentally stumbled upon E

A Revised Map for Syldavia

Hi all, I have updated my map for Syldavia, fiddling with minor details like the direction of river courses, the location of national frontiers and changing some place names.   The most noticeable change is the presence of a hex grid, each hex is supposed to be 10km in diameter.  This particular change is a big help (obviously!) figuring out distances between places in real terms, such as numbers of days (or hours...) of travel between point A and point B. Syldavia is smaller than I thought! Jim